WHAT IS YEP?
The City of University City 2015 Youth Employment Program (YEP) is a City-funded program that provides University City residents ages 16 – 19 with meaningful work experience and relevant job skills.
The program includes an educational component (class) that the youth must attend, which is held on each Wednesday.
For summer 2015, The City of University City will be hiring 19 youth for a 10-week employment program that will offer students the opportunity to:
- Get an opportunity to gain meaningful work experience
- Learn and develop valuable and critical job skills to obtain and retain meaningful employment
- Gain an understanding of public service operations
- Acquire an understanding of proper work habits
- Attend valuable job search skills classes*
- Earn $7.35 per hour
*Students who complete the program will have:
- Job skills, job training, resume writing and interview skills
- Verifiable employment history
- Salary history
- From the week of June 8, 2015 to August 17, 2015.
- Monday – Friday, Up to 29 Hours per week
- 1-hour lunch period.
- The start and end time of a shift may vary depending on which department the participant is assigned.
BASIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
University City Resident
Age 16 - 19
Proof of Residency
Proof of eligibility to work (I-9 Documentation- Birth Certificate, State ID, Driver’s License)
No felonies, misdemeanors, or type 1 school offenses
Proof of eligibility is not needed to apply. Verification of eligibility and a records check will be requested with an offer of employment.
- University City Youth Employment Program application.
- Interviews will be based on available placement indicated by applicants.
- Departments will screen, interview, and select applicants for employment.
- Decisions will be based on overall interview performance and skills.
The program will include a Staff Coordinator that will coordinate all administrative functions.
Each department that has a youth employee (participant) will have a Worksite Supervisor to supervise the participant.
The participants will attend planned programs (Wednesdays), provided via University City High School
HOW TO APPLY:
f you meet the eligibility requirements, complete the Youth Employment Program application. Applications are available on the City’s website (www.ucitymo.org) you may pick up an application from the Human Resources Office at City Hall.
RETURN APPLICATIONS TO:
6801 Delmar Blvd.
University City, MO 63130
Applicants will be notified by the HR Office if they have been selected to continue on in the hiring process. To be notified, it is necessary that you provide correct contact information (address and working telephone number) on the application. Due to unusually high call volume no phone calls are accepted.