How do you apply for a commercial occupancy permit?
The first step to obtaining a commercial occupancy permit would be to submit an application to the Department of Community Development. You will need to know the number of square feet your business will occupy, the name of the business owner and/or corporate officers, number of parking spaces available to your business, name of the building owner, including address and phone number and the number of employees your business will hire. This application must be accompanied with the appropriate fee. This is a one time fee so long as your business occupies the same address. The fee covers the city’s costs for inspection of the proposed business premises. Fees are $28.50 for an office smaller than 3,000 square feet, $57 for a non-office space smaller than 3,000 feet and $100.50 for all spaces 3,000 feet or more. Upon receiving your application, the Zoning Administrator will verify whether or not the type and location of the proposed business is permitted under the University City Zoning Code. If it is not a permitted use, you will be notified in writing. Certain businesses must go through special procedures to obtain zoning approval. (See information on conditional uses). However, if it is a permitted use, the Zoning Administrator will forward your application to the Commercial Building Inspector for an inspection.

Show All Answers

1. What is the purpose of a commercial occupancy permit?
2. When is a commercial occupancy permit required?
3. How do you apply for a commercial occupancy permit?
4. What will the inspection cover?